top of page

How does bond or bail work?

Have you ever sat down, turned on the TV, and stumbled upon a crime drama portraying the life of lawyers and their clients in captivating tales of justice? If so, you might think the world of bond (or bail as it is known in some jurisdictions) is as dramatic as these shows depict. But let me pull back the curtain for you. It's a situation no one imagines themselves in, but when faced with legal challenges, understanding the bond process becomes vital.

Demystifying Bond:

- Definition: Bond is a financial promise made to ensure the defendant appears in court.

- Exonerated: If they appear as required, the bond is returned.

- Forfeited: If they don't, the court keeps the money.

But here's the thing: bonds aren’t always pocket change; in fact they usually aren’t. The judge sets bond in an amount that is meant to hurt if the defendant ends up forfeiting it. The problem is that a lot of judges (maybe even most) tend to set bond way higher than what is needed to properly incentivize the defendant to come back to court. It can be hefty, and not everyone has the means to pay it. And while some might have a generous relative or a good Samaritan to help out, many are left in the lurch. This is where bail bondsmen come in.

The Bail Bond Explained:

The bail bondsman essentially “loans” the money for the bond in exchange for a fee (usually 10% of the bond) and some collateral that is worth at least the rest of the bond. At the end of the case, if the bond was not forfeited, the collateral is released to its rightful owner, and the bondsman only keeps the 10% fee. However, if the bond is forfeited, then the bondsman is on the hook for the remaining 90% of the bond, which is where collateral comes in. The collateral gets sold, and the bondsman gets their money out of that sale. The bondsman also has made a guarantee to the court that the defendant is going to be in court when required, so if the defendant no-shows, the bondsman will likely either go out and get the defendant to bring them to jail or hire someone to do that. Think “Dog the Bounty Hunter.”

A Glimpse into the Bond Process in Arizona:

Now, let's take a detour to Arizona, my home turf. If you or someone you know ever gets tangled in the criminal system here, you will want an attorney. They're not just your guide and means of getting out but might also get you a better deal on bond. When a judge sets bond, they're weighing multiple factors: the gravity of the crime, past run-ins with the law, and even potential risks to society. When you hire an attorney, you are hiring someone who knows how the considerations work for bond and will be able to argue in terms of those considerations for a lower bond. If you're posting the bond, know that Arizona has its payment preferences, accepting Postal money orders, cashier’s checks, or Western Union money orders.

Navigating the Complex World of Bonds – You’re Not Alone:

Navigating the criminal system is daunting, and when your freedom or that of a loved one hangs in the balance, having an expert on your side makes all the difference. That's where my expertise at The Law Office of Joel Chorny comes into play. I specialize in providing personalized, effective legal solutions tailored to fit each client's individual needs and circumstances. Our vast experience and in-depth knowledge of the criminal process not only educate but empower our clients, instilling confidence in every step of the legal process.

Why Risk the Unknown?:

Facing bond matters without an experienced guide is like navigating an intricate maze blindfolded. A single wrong turn can change your life's trajectory.

Take the Next Step with The Law Office of Joel Chorny:

As one of our satisfied clients mentioned, "At the Law Office of Joel Chorny, I wasn’t just another case; I felt truly represented and understood." Join the myriad of satisfied clients who have already benefited from my expertise. I’m not just an attorney – I’m your ally, dedicated to protecting your rights and securing the most favorable outcomes.

Embark on this journey with a lawyer who not only understands the complexities of release conditions but is committed to making this complex process as straightforward and stress-free as possible. At The Law Office of Joel Chorny, your peace of mind is our top priority. Don’t navigate this journey alone. Reach out today for a consultation and let's chart the best path forward together.

Photo by Michael Dziedzic on Unsplash

18 views0 comments
bottom of page